According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention there are an estimated, “…30,000 people in the United States who have the disease (ALS).” The International Alliance of ALS/MND Associations states that there are, “…120,000 cases diagnosed worldwide each year.” Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a disease that can affect people of all ages, but mostly strikes people in middle age. ALS affects the motor neurons and causes severe muscle weakness. Individuals with ALS lose control of voluntary muscles in their arms and legs. In addition, a patient may have trouble talking and swallowing.
ALS is also referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease. Lou Gehrig was a famous baseball player of the 1930s who had ALS. The celebrated physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking also has ALS. The tremendous successes of these two men in their chosen fields can serve as inspiration for others with ALS. The following are some resources that may be of help to individuals with ALS as well as to the people who care about them.
Resources for People with ALS
- Facts and Helpful Information on ALS: Learn about ALS, find information on support groups, and much more.
- An Explanation of ALS: Read a descriptive explanation of ALS, the prognosis, as well as treatment information.
- The ALS Association: The ALS Association is a national not-for-profit health agency dedicated to fighting ALS through research, patient and community services, public education, as well as advocacy.
- ALS Research: Find out about the research on ALS being conducted at the Robert Packard Center.
- Information and Research on ALS: Learn specifics about ALS and find some resources regarding ALS research.
- MDA ALS Division: Discover facts about ALS, research news, and many more sources of information concerning the disease.
- Learning about ALS/MND: Read about ALS/MND (motor neuron disease) and find out more about the work of this international organization.
- A Look at ALS: Study some information on Lou Gehrig’s disease including what it is, the diagnosis, treatment, and more.
- Interview with Stephen Hawking: Look at an interview of Stephen Hawking (who has ALS) to learn about his tremendous accomplishments.
- An Examination of ALS: Learn information about ALS from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Also, read details regarding the National Registry.
Hospitals Specializing in the Care of ALS Patients
- ALS Clinics: Find the names of clinics that deal with patients who have ALS. This list of clinics contains the pertinent information connected with each one.
- Specialty Hospital: Learn about an ALS clinic in Maryland.
- An ALS Clinic: Read the details regarding an ALS clinic in Minneapolis.
- Biographical Information on Lou Gehrig: Checkout facts concerning the early life of Lou Gehrig, his success in baseball, and his struggle with ALS.
- Profile of Lou Gehrig: Look at the successes of Lou Gehrig in baseball and read about his experience with ALS. One interesting fact in the article explains how this beloved baseball player earned the name, “Iron Horse.”
- Life of Lou Gehrig: Find out the interesting details of Lou Gehrig’s childhood, baseball career, and fight with ALS.
- The Life and Baseball Career of Lou Gehrig: Discover facts about the childhood, baseball career, and ALS diagnosis of Lou Gehrig.
- Facts about the Life of Lou Gehrig: Read a detailed article about the life and accomplishments of Lou Gehrig. Also, read the heartfelt speech Lou Gehrig made to his fans.
- A Look at the Life of Lou Gehrig: Find out about the early life of Lou Gehrig as well as his successes in baseball. Also, learn about the lives and backgrounds of Lou Gehrig’s mother and father.
- Well-Known Individuals with ALS: Learn about the lives of several famous individuals, including Lou Gehrig, who have dealt with the disease of ALS. Among some of the other well-known individuals with ALS were actor David Niven and musician Charles Mingus.
In Memory of Those Who Have Died of ALS
- Information on ALS Walks: Choose a state and learn about fundraising walks that help in fighting ALS.
- Fundraising for ALS Research: Learn about ALS as well as the efforts of this organization to fight this disease.
- An ALS Foundation: Read about the work of this foundation that is striving to help people with ALS.
- An ALS Charity Group: Discover details regarding an annual fundraising walk and much more through this ALS organization.
- ALS Support Groups: Find a list of ALS support groups in different areas of Michigan.
- Resource for ALS Support Groups and More: View a list of cities in the United States, click on a city, and find a support group or other resources related to ALS.